May 21, 2009

Doing the Impossible

This year has been a whirlwind of accomplishments and discoveries. And with each event I have been able to take in a number of life lessons. I feel very blessed to have been given these lessons, so I thought I would share them with you.


It all began with me making a list of goals for 2009 in January. On that list, I had set a goal to be paid for my speaking. I had no idea how this was to happen. One day shortly after that, I had the brilliant idea to google “Call for Presentations- Saskatoon”. From that search, I found that the Awasis organization was having a conference at the end of April and asking for presenters to speak on matters related to education or wellness. Bingo! I put in my proposal, it was accepted, and I received my first pay cheque for my presentation: Mindfulness- The Path to Wellness on May 1st.


Then, in February, I became aware of an opportunity to go to an Anthony Robbins event where I would have the chance to walk barefoot over hot coals. I have to admit, this really intrigued me. So I went even though I had no idea if I would actually be able to do the walk. Not only did I walk on fire, but it was one of the easiest things I have ever done. Piece of cake. Hmmm.


At the Tony Robbins event I heard about the health benefits of cleansing and fasting. So I did my research and on April 20th I began the Master Cleanse. For those who are unfamiliar, the Master Cleanse basically consists of consuming nothing other than water and a drink made of fresh, organic lemon juice, pure water, pure maple syrup, and cayenne pepper. This concoction reportedly is chalk full of vitamins and nutrients so it feeds your cells as your body is able to clear out toxins since it doesn’t need to waste energy on digestion. I wasn’t sure if I would be able to follow through with this fast, but I gave it a try and I completed 16 full days of cleansing in this manner. It actually was relatively easy and I was never hungry. And, I am so much more healthy, vibrant, and energetic for having done it.


So what are lessons in all of this?


First, I did what I thought was the impossible three times over in a matter of a few short months. Never did I think I could do any of these things, but when I gave it a try, they were so easy. What else have I been telling myself is impossible that in actuality is relatively easy?


Next, I realized the reason why I hadn’t tried these things (or similar endeavors) in the past is because I was too afraid of failing. The difference this time was that I allowed that option to exist so I didn’t fight against it. I told myself if the Awasis organization rejected my proposal it wasn’t meant to be. I said if I can’t walk on coals well then so be it. And, if I only do one day on the fast, well that’s better than nothing. I allowed myself to be ok with failure if that was to be the outcome but always kept my focus on the success. What a difference that made. It took all the pressure off me, and allowed me to live the experience without worry about the outcome.


Lastly, and most importantly, I learned that when you live in the moment, anything is possible and you actually enjoy the experience of the moment. It is when we live in the past or the future that things seem impossible. Worry is always a fear of the future. “I worry this will happen.” In the moment, there is no worry of what is to come. Disappointment is a fear of the past. “It will just be like before.” In the moment, there is no disappointment. Allowing the moment to be and allowing yourself to be in it, without placing expectation on it or comparing it to something else, is the greatest gift you can give yourself.


So the next time an idea or opportunity comes your way, say “yes” this time, and allow whatever is to come to come. Just like Jim Carrey in the movie “Yes Man”, once you say “yes” to life, things start to happen. Even the impossible becomes possible. The difficult becomes easy. The magnificent becomes you.


And that’s my perspective…

No comments:

Post a Comment